Friday, June 18, 2010

I have arrived at Rocky Mountain National Park!!!

I'm into my fourth day on the trip and I have officially arrived at Rocky Mountain National Park. Very exciting. I got in very late last night and everything was closed up. There was no way for me to get a campsite so I ended up camping out in the back of my car! I have a big hatchback so it was actually pretty comfortable. I awoke at sunrise to an air temperature that was in the low thirties! There was frost on my car. That definitely doesn't happen in Danville in the middle of the summer.
At about six this morning I drove all the way across the park on Trail Ridge road. It's the road in the orange in the picture below:


Here are some picutres I took while driving across Trail Ridge Rd. this morning!






After passing through the park, I went to the Backcountry Office. This is a place where you can talk to park rangers about where you would like to stay in the park. The park ranger told me there was an opening for one of the best spots in the park and that it was usually completely full. I was very excited to nab that one! If you've never been backcountry camping, it is a lot different than your normal campground. You wear a big backpack full of everything you'll need for a couple days and then you hike out and away. You set up your camp out in the woods. There is no electricity, phone service, showers, or even a toilet! It's a one of kind experience. I will be out in the woods for the next five days. Hopefully I will make it back into town for a day of updating everyone, but if not, the next time I write I should have some new adventures, photos, and a couple paintings!!

1 comment:

  1. Loved your photos.I actually saved one to my computer for a screen saver!

    ReplyDelete